Empathy often makes you successful even when you have almost nothing else to offer.
So, what is empathy? How does it work?
Empathy is an unvoiced expression that passes between you and someone else. Empathy is appreciating a person’s problems for what they are and dealing with the person first. Their problems come second. Empathy is that wonderful sensitivity to the emotional needs of others. It is an attitude that you must learn if you plan on success through personality appeal.
To learn the art of empathy, here are nine (9) fundamentals:
- Understand yourself first. When you understand yourself, you will appreciate the pains of others.
- Put yourself in the other person’s place. Try living the other person’s problem. Remember that when you get cut – you also bleed.
- Make your facial expressions speak beneficially. Make you face “Friend, I am in sympathy with your problem.”
- Try to eliminate the fears of others.
- Don’t over-emphasize an apparent problem. Never use and abuse the technique of fear.
- Your hands and your face must always be gentle. Treat everyone as if they were labeled “Fragile, Handle with Care.”
- Don’t turn the neurotic person away with “There’s nothing I can do for you.” Give that person the audience they need.
- Be a good listener. Give people you undivided attention.
- Be patient and dispense courage. Give people confidence. Help them face up to their hurts.
When you have appreciation, and respect for others problems, and let them know you understand their problem through words and actions, you have begun to establish empathy.