Cultivating an attitude of excellence requires that you develop five cardinal qualities.
- Teachability: You must be open to new ideas and methods, new ways of doing things. You must be willing to listen, observe, and learn constantly.
- Adaptability: You must be willing and able to adjust to constant change. [Change is constant – Growth is optional.]
- Flexibility: You must be willing to work smoothly with people of many different talents, temperaments, and personalities.
- Creativity: You must be willing to try new things, building on your successes and learning from your mistakes.
- Sensitivity: You must be aware of the needs, interests and concerns of other people – your co-workers as well the people who patronize you.
Cultivating an attitude of excellence is a day-by-day process. You do not become an overnight star. However, if you are constantly making small improvements, they will add up like compound interest. The modest gains eventually will amount to impressive accomplishments for you, and those for whom you work with.
You Can Be Extraordinary!
You don’t have to be a superhero to perform the extraordinary. All you need is a commitment to do more and be more.
Extraordinary people are those who consistently do the things many others can’t do or won’t do. With a positive attitude, you can motivate yourself to do the things other people won’t do, and you can learn to do the things other people can’t do.
Always remember: The key to extraordinary performance is a willingness to exert persistent effort. That means keeping a constant eye out for better ways of doing things; and with our technology today, the sky is the limit….